Product Review: GW Moon Base Klaisus

Picked up the GW Moon Base set from my FLGS, Goldmine Games. I have to say, over all, I really like the set. It comes with a two-sided game board style surface and a few sprues of ruins.

Considering that a 6'x4' mat runs around $75, the similar price point of this set means that I am getting twice as many tops as a mat, plus some terrain.


The good:
1. It comes in a nice box so it is protected while stored
2. The artwork is great. Both sides are well executed
3. The sprues are sturdy, well cast, and all unique



Stuff you should know:
1. The surface is about 6" shorter in both length and width. Doesn't bother me, but it is not quite "regulation" size
2. Even though the board is in 4 sections, the sides can only be laid out one way. It is not modular


What I didn't like:
Really only one thing, and it comes down to personal taste. GW used to give the guideline that a table should have 25% of the surface covered by some type of terrain.

There is only about enough terrain for 25% of 25% (in other words 1/8) of the board surface, and there is a small booklet with a couple of scenarios seeming to imply that this is the new normal.
...and at first take it seems kind of silly to have a board with 5 building foundations, but only enough sprues to build on one of them, but... thinking again, the competing products are one game surface and no terrain.

So, for the money, the Moon Base is a good deal.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the review Will, thb it was the flip side that interested me most, as from what I can make out it could be any king of warm dry place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but the flip side has fissures with mounds of skulls poking through. The flips side is definitely a chaos planet. Possibly, the fissures could be covered with terrain.

      Delete
    2. Ah that a pity Will, on the amount of terrain I've noticed at least where I'm playing that people seem to be using more terrain than what would be 25% of the playing area.

      Delete
    3. I could see how it would be useful to quite a lot of gamers (more so if it were reconfigurable) , but that ruin sprue is particularly interesting... hopefully it comes out in some sort of more accessible fashion.

      Delete
    4. I have to imagine that it will. It compliments practially everything else they have released.

      Delete

Post a Comment