TJOTMS, Ep.5: A Project Update

Hi Readers,
I was hoping to have an episode to advance the storyline, and while the game has been played, the film is not yet in the can. However, there has been lots of progress on airbornegrove's blog, (Link: HERE) and I feel the need to show I'm not just phoney baloneying my way through this (or at least any more than he is.)

Like the last time, I'll go through the 3 components Building, Story, and Gaming...

Building
I've been working on the main guns of the Nazi Battleship...


The turrets rotate. I mounted them on lazy susans. I think they look pretty good. One thing that I'm not liking is that the pvc is amazingly heavy. I'm going to have to modify the base design to be distributed under more of the model for stability.

A fellow model maker was asking me how I do the lighting effects. Brace yourself... this is some high tech stuff here..

That's it. 3 sets of 10 LED party lights from amazon at about $15 a set. They are remote controlled and can be set to any color and to flash or strobe if you want.

Then I just get some sticky tack...

and voila'
(nothing says evil like a Nazi Battleship with a bridge under EVIL red illumination... EEEEVILLL!!!)

There are drawbacks. I cannot leave them in place. Even turned off they drain their batteries, so I have to take them all down every single time and insert an piece of paper between the battery and the contact spring to interrupt current flow.
...and then setting up again is the same deal.

Feel free to ask me to elaborate on anything you see in my models.

Story
Currently, on my side of the project, I have 3 good episodes to go through on the blog as the Mary Shelley makes her way to New Texas. OTOH, I'm stuck on names. I need a great name for the Captian of my Nazi Battleship and on that note, I need a name for the ship itself. My brain is killing me with the mustache twisting nefarious bad guy names we've all heard a million times. It's like a Britney Spears song that won't stop and banishes all other thought. (Wolf, Wulfgang, Goebels...Wolf, Wulfgang, Goebels... Wolf, Wulfgang, Himmler! ...holy crap brain,  please stop) 

Gaming
Fighter Rules, I think are "done". Let me manage some expectations though. In this context, "done" does not mean "ready to submit to publishers and sell a million copies". I'm a hobbyist. "Done" means the people I game with can understand what I've written, and I will be close at hand when we use them so I can lie my way through anything that doesn't work and blame airbornegrove . 

Ship and Capital Ship Rules have some strong concepts, I've been moving models around, rolling dice and consulting with Cheetor, Whiskeypriest, and airbornegrove. I might have something written in the next couple of weeks. 

After that, BOARDING RULES!

Thanks for looking!

Comments

  1. Every time I see them I get excited for the drop-assault-walker-robot pod things. Wheee! I suppose if I owned them that would guarantee they'd explode and miss everything the first time on the table.

    Google translate could be helpful with names? Choose some appropriate english ones, and look for the german variation that *cough* rolls off the tongue.....or at least looks pronouncable. evil (Bose...ho hum) suggests 'teuflisch' (devilish, diabolical...promising).

    Rechtschaffene Empörung - Righteous Indignation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google translate... good idea

      I think we have to have some prelim battles to overcome the "First Game Curse"

      Delete
  2. All I can say is this is going to be SWEET! Well done sir. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The KMSS Todesstalker (Death Stalker) it fits I think .....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Might not work for this one, but the unfinished Nazi aircraft carrier of world war two fame was named Graf Zeppelin. Two other battleships of ww2 fame go by the name of Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Bismarck, and Tirpitz to name a few.
    I would see the rest of the fleet being like wolf packs. So maybe stealth torpedo ships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that there are no ships that survived, and U-Boats didn't have recorded names.
      Hmmmmm...

      Delete
    2. True, seems that the U-boats where just know by numbers and battle ships where named after Generals, and politicians.

      Delete
    3. Not sure what you mean by "survived." While there aren't to my knowledge any WWII German surface ships still above water today a good handful survived the war, including three cruisers and seven named destroyers. (Most German destroyers had numbers.) The most famous survivor was probably Prinz Eugen, which was later used as a target at Bikini. (Along with Nagato, Saratoga, Pennsylvania, and a host of other ships.) Germans also named cruisers after cities. The other two surviving cruisers were Nürnberg and Leipzig. The early destoryers were named after nautical figures, I believe: Paul Jacobi and Theodor Riedel were two examples. Both were KM officers killed in the previous war. And honestly, the "politicians" tended to have significant military and often naval connections. Graf Maximillian von Spee commanded a very successful raiding squadron which the Royal Navy went to great pains to end. On the dead sailor theory you could name your battleship Günther Lütjens after the admiral in command of the squadron Bismark was leading. Or perhaps Hans Langsdorff who commanded Graf Spee during her famous raiding career.

      Delete
  5. That ship is really coming together Will, the lighting a great touch & the guns just blow you away lol, as for a name would temp fate & go with Bismark :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my rules exploration, her main battery is badass...
      The Bismark did sink the Hood with the golden BB, right?

      Delete
  6. I ran out of words long ago :O

    ReplyDelete
  7. MAAAAAAAN!!!
    This is awesome!
    Love it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oberst Leermeister. You know it must be done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That really does look pretty bloody fantastic General. It's a shame the PVC is a little too heavy, but man does it make the cannons look mega! Not much else you could substitute, material wise for PVC thats' cheaper, lighter and just as thick is there though.

    I like the walkers too, where are they from originally?

    Can't wait to see this finished. Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The walkers are a Playmobil toy from Amazon. The first ones I got were just $10 each, but the only ones I can find now are $20.

      Delete
  10. oh man!!
    It looks awesome!!
    really good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ARL!
      There's been a lot of progress... coming soon

      Delete

Post a Comment